I love the flavour of blood oranges, they have a slight raspberry hint to the flavour. When used to make the drizzle for this cake it created a pink glittery topping and definitely one I will be replicating again for some of my pink crazy female friends.
The cake is a normal sponge cake mix with the added zest of the orange. The sugar orange syrup is poured onto the cake when hot, and then sets as this sparkly topping.
- 175g (6oz) softened butter
- 175g (6oz) granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g (6oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- 1tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- zest of one blood orange
For the sparkly topping
- 150g (5oz) unrefined caster sugar
- 50ml (2fl oz) water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180°C
- Lightly grease a round cake tin with a little butter and line the bottom with grease proof paper.
- Put all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and beat with a wooden spoon or a hand-held mixer for 1 minute, or until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 45-50 minutes. To see if the cake is baked test it with a skewer - it should come out clean.
- When the cake is cooked prick it all over with a fork. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and then carefully remove the tin.
- Mix together the juice of the blood orange, the sugar and water and pour over the cake.