Ever needed to transport your cakes? This is a really pretty way of presenting your cake and it also it a good way of making your cakes into more of a full dessert. They can really easily be themes as well.
I made some orange fairy cakes layered with orange butter cream. Each jar has two little fairy cakes, butter cream, sprinkles and in one I added some marmalade. We were thinking that these could be really nice as little Victoria sponges and could be jubilee themed. Again it could work really nicely with different coloured fairy cakes.
You will need:
Jars - I used nutella jars. The are nice and wide to fit in the cakes and come with a white plastic lid that could be decorated with sharpies. If you use taller jars you can layer more cake.
To make 12 orange fairy cakes:
1 large egg
70g unsalted butter
70g self- raising flour
Rind of 1 orange
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Add the orange rind, egg and flour.
- Spoon into a silicone cake mould.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes until golden brown.
225g icing sugar
1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed orange juice
- Combine all everything together until light and fluffy.
- Pipe onto the layered cake.