I had been racking my brain and thought that cocoa would go quite nicely with pumpkin and cheddar cheese. In order to match the cocoa with darker flavour I used some rye flour in the recipe. Now this was all in the aid of experimentation and the challenge. My parents weren't too convinced. I thought they were very nice with a dollop of cranberry and apple chutney.
Next time I would probably add more cheese and maybe slightly less rye flour and I have tweaked the below recipe accordingly in case any of you are crazy enough to try it!
25 g butter
30g grated cheddar cheese
100 g of rye flour
15g of Green and Blacks cocoa powder
100g plain flour
3 tablespoons baking powder
150 mls of milk
10g of pumpkin seed and a few more to sprinkle on top
1. Grate the cheese.
2. Mix the butter, cheese, flour, Cocoa and baking powder together in a processor until you have breadcrumbs.
3. Add the pumpkin seeds.
4. Slowly add the milk and knead until the mixture forms and dough.
5. Form into rounds and place on greased baking tray.
6. Brush with a little milk and sprinkle with grated cheese and pumpkinseed on top.
7. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes until the cheese has melted and slightly browned on top.
Enjoy these as a healthy breakfast snack with butter, cream cheese or chutney. Any thoughts from the real foodies out there on whether this was a good idea would be appreciated!