After one not so good attempt (which I may still blog) I managed to produce these. I was really happy with how well the flavours balanced. I only made a few so feel free to scale up the recipe.
Made 6 whole macaroons and 12 half macaroons.
1 egg white
50g dessicated coconut (I used the unsweetened type)
60g icing sugar
25g caster sugar
Zest of half a lemon
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- First up I tried grinding my desicated coconut so it was a bit finer. this didn't work so well in my food processor so maybe a coffee grinder or pestle and mortar would be best.
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks are forming.
- Gradually add the sugars to the egg white together with the lemon zest.
- Very gently fold in the dessicated coconut in several batches.
- Carefully pipe the mixture or spoon it onto a non stick baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes until firm but not coloured.
- Leave to cool and dry on the tray.
- Now sandwich together with jam and enjoy!