I recently made gooseberry jam and having been thinking for a while about using it in a Victoria Sponge. It worked really well and tasty absolutely lovely! My colleagues were very pleased when I brought it into work!
225g butter softened
225g caster sugar
4 large eggs
225g/ self raising flour
For the filling
200 ml of lightly whipped cream
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Butter and line two 8 inch tins.
- Beat together the butter and sugar.
- Mix in the eggs and a little flour.
- Add in the rest of the flour.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the tins and bake for 20-30 mins until cooked. Check they are baked by inserting a skewer. if the skewer comes out clean your cakes are done!
- Let the cakes cool in the tin and then place on a cooling rack.
- Spread one of the cakes with gooseberry jam and add the lightly whipped cream.
- Sandwich together and dust with icing sugar.