Greg is allergic to nuts and some mince pies and mincemeat contain nuts.
I have made my mincemeat for the past two years now and I also really enjoy it. I am a massive Christmas fiend and love all the traditions and preparations in the lead up to Christmas.
So I thought I would post my mincemeat recipe. It changes every time dependent on what I have around the kitchen. Do be inventive and add more of what you like.
This made a 1 litre jar of mincemeat. I guess it would make about 2 1lb jars.
2 large bramley apples grated (I'm still trying to use these up!)
500g dried mixed fruit (I bought a value pack for 64p from Morrisions)
500g of other dried fruit - could be dates, glace cherries, sultanas, mixed peel etc . I just used another pack of dried mixed fruit.
Zest and juice of 2 oranges
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
3tsp mixed spice
2tsp ground cloves
100 ml of dark rum - I used a bit of Cointreau too as I make orangey mince pies and this just adds to the theme
175g dark muscovado sugar
- Combine all the ingredients, apart from the sugar, together in a large pan over a low heat and stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile sterilise the jars. Heat the oven to 100C. Wash the jars and place in the oven.
- After about 30 minutes the fruit will start to plump and most of the liquid will have evaporated.
- Take off the heat and stir in the sugar
- Carefully take the jars out of the oven and add the mincemeat.
- Seal and label.
Pop along and have a look at the other Let's Make Christmas ideas, or submit your own.