This month's Breakfast Club is hosted by Makey Cakey and 'Deliciously Diary Free' is the theme. I thought this would be a good opportunity to make some scrumptious seedy, oaty, fruit bars. I have also made mine nut free as my boyfriend is allergic to nuts but feel free to add these in if you like.
This recipe uses honey and oil which omits the need for butter which is normally used in flapjack or cereal bar recipes.
4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
7 tablespoons of runny honey (which I had just purchased at the farmer's market)
25g dark muscovado sugar
50g mixed seeds - pumpkin, sesame and linseed
50g chopped dried dates
50g mixed peel
- Heat the oven to 180C and line and grease a square tin.
- Mix together the dried fruit and oats.
- In a large pan gently heat the sugar oil and honey until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is combined.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the oats and dried fruit to the and mix well.
- Once all combined place the mixture into the tin and press down.
- Bake the bars for 15 minutes until golden.
- Cool completely and then cut into bars.
I found these bars were quite sticky but not too sweet and despite all the honey I managed to make myself believe these are a healthy breakfast.