450g cooking apples
Microwavable dish with lid
Jam pot covers
Makes 3 jars
- Put a plate in the fridge. This will be used later to check whether the jam has set.
- Heat the oven to 100C
- Wash your jam jars in soapy water and rinse. Add to a tray in the oven whilst still wet.
- Peel core and roughly chop the apples and add to a large microwavable dish with a lid.
- Roughly chop the strawberries and add. If you are cutting off the tops with the stalks use these leftover to make the strawberry salt scrub.
- Add the lid and microwave the fruit until it is a bit soft. Add the sugar and continue to cook for the next 20 mins stirring every 5 minutes and use a masher every now and then to help the fruit along.
- You will see that the fruit keeps boiling up
- After about 20 minutes and when all the fruit has completely soften and lost its shape, take the plate out of the fridge and drop a small spoonful onto the plate. If it sets the jam is ready.
- Carefully take the jars out of the oven and spoon the jam into them whilst still hot.
- Add the jam baking paper cover and cellophane. As the jar and jam cools this will form a seal.
This was the first time I have ever made jam and I never realised how simple it was. Off to make some apple and blackberry jam now.