I love to make these with big lumps of dark chocolate, orange rind and mixed peel. White chocolate and dried cranberries are also lovely. The original recipe was with pecans.
The recipe below makes about 4 sets of dough which make 12 large cookies or a lot of smaller cookies.
450g softened butter
300g caster sugar
500g self raising flour
2 large eggs
200g dark chocolate broken into pieces
Rind of 1 orange
50g mixed peel
- Mix everything together
- Divide the mixture into four pieces and roll into logs. Cover with baking parchment and clingfilm and place in the fridge.
- You can keep the mixture in the fridge for a week or freeze for 3 months. Defrost in the fridge before using.
- To cook, heat the oven to 190C. Take the chilled dough and slice the roll into thin sections.
- Place these on a baking sheet and cook for 10 minutes or until golden.
- Leave to cool and firm up on the baking tray.
- Package nicely as gifts or just eat the lot!