It just so happens I have several limes that need using up and so I thought I would attempt a big lime and coconut cake. The Hummingbird Bakery 'Cake Days' book has a recipe for Coconut Layer Cake and this acted as inspiration for my cake and the basis of my sponge recipe. As an aside I am definitely falling in love with this book and would highly recommend it. My cake was only one layer and had the addition of lime zest and juice. I made a simple drizzle icing for the top. It was really tasty and I'll definitely be making cakes with coconut milk again as it made the cake really flavoursome and moist.
For the sponge
120g of unsalted butter softened
400g of caster sugar
360g of plain flour
1 1/2 tablespoons of baking powder
260 ml of coconut milk
100ml of milk
Zest of one lime
For the icing
Juice of 1 lime of lemon (or a mix)
Dessicated coconut for decoration (optional)
1. Mixed together the dry ingredients and the butter and zest with a freestanding whisk or electric mixer
2. Mix together the eggs coconut milk whole milk and lines together in a jug
3. Place in a greased and lined round cake tin
4. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out of the cake clean and it is golden brown on top
5. Let the cake cool
6. To make the icing mix the juice of a lime or lemon with icing sugar and drizzle over the cake.
7. Add a little desiccated coconut if you had some.
This cake would also be really nice with a layer of homemade lemon or lime curd in the middle.