1 medium orange
125ml sunflower oil
115g plain flour - can use wholemeal if you want it to be a bit healthier
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 rounded tsp ground cinnamon
140g dark muscovado sugar
280g finely grated carrots (about 375-400g carrots before peeling)
1/2 tsp finely grated orange zest
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Lightly oil and line the base of a deep 20cm square cake tin.
- Finely grate the zest from the orange into a bowl add the raisins and then pour over the juice of the zested orange.
- Add the grated carrot and eggs and mix.
- Add the oil bit by bit.
- In a separate bowl mix the dry ingredients together
- Now slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients mixing well.
- Pour into the tin and make sure the mixture is level.Bake for 1 hr until risen and firm or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin 5 mins, turn out onto a wire rack, peel off the paper, then leave until cold.
- To make the icing stir the soft cheese, icing sugar and orange zest together and then spread on the cake.